Friday, March 29, 2013

Pizza King and FFOE in the Tribune



Mike Sarko, from Tony Pappalardo's collection

 Yadira Betances and photog Angie Beaulieu of the Tribune visited Pizza King the other day to see the exhibit on Lawrence Boxing, Phase One. I plan on continuing along the boxing timeline and putting together another show sometime this summer. I already have some great pictures and stories from the 1940s on up. These displays depends on people sharing their personal family photos.

You can't buy these pictures anywhere. I use scans that I get from the children and grandchildren of Lawrence boxers.

If you are a former boxer or have someone in your family who fought from the Lawrence area and would like to share their story for either this blog or an exhibit, please email me at the addressl listed on the side of this blog.  For those of you who are local I will borrow your photos, scan them and return them to you, usually within the hour.

One correction from the article. Mike Sarkis/Sarko was a great fighter and he was, indeed, the National Guard Lightweight Champion but he WAS NOT the winner of two world championships. He fought some world champions, but he himself was not one.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I have an old boxing picture I'm trying yo idrbyify. I think one of the boxers is Mike Sarko. It's an interesting photo taken on a sidewalk in front of door. They are barefisted and in street clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I have an old boxing picture I'm trying yo idrbyify. I think one of the boxers is Mike Sarko. It's an interesting photo taken on a sidewalk in front of door. They are barefisted and in street clothes.

    ReplyDelete